Sunday, January 8, 2012

Dominica, I have arrived

My trip to Dominica took two days of travel. I first flew to Antigua to ring in the new year.

The flight to Antigua was really nice, but I began to wonder if the wing was going to fall off. Note the paint coming off the wing.

But once I got past the damaged wing thing, I noticed some amazing islands and reefs down below.




I stayed in The Admirals Inn (http://admiralsantigua.com) which is located in a port where million dollar yachts were ready to party. It is really a nice place that was build in the late 1700's. Because I am a cheap med student I paid the lowest rate possible so they put me in the attic. I guarantee the attic has not changed since the place was built. There was no AC and the ceilings were so low that you could only turn around in the room before you hit your head.


After a late night of taking in the yachts and New Years party, I woke up at 4am to fly to Dominica.  On approach you see that the island is mountainous and not unlike the opening to Jurassic Park. But it is so beautiful!


As we approached the airport the experience was probably not unlike a Vietnam airplane ride (without the gun fire). We flew close to the trees, weaving between mountains when suddenly the airport appeared. The plane takes a dive down the side of the mountain to safely land. I was not worried for a second.



The airport had heavy security....

(This is Fort Shirley on the island)


No comments: